Greenville Technical College, located in Greeenvile, SC, had a problem. They needed lots of weld test coupons beveled and end finished but had to do them by hand using beveling torches and finish with files and grinders. This process was very manual and took a lot of time to prepare a finished pipe coupon, up to one hour of prep time for a single pipe section.
Donovan Burdge, welding instructor at GTC, found MSI Inc beveling machines on YouTube and the ChamferMate C8H automated beveling machine was the one they needed to solve this weld coupon test preparation problem.
The ChamferMate C8H allows the students to remain in their welding booths and focus on learning how to weld properly instead of preparing pipe bevels, which consume a lot of time.
"We are able to insert an unfinished end into the ChamferMate and have it come out looking perfectly finished. Each pipe section is now consistent and for our certification testing and exams the students all use the same pipe end finish", says Mr. Burdge.
Pipe sizes range from:
- 2" diameter schedule 80 carbon pipe
- 3" schedule 40 carbon
- 3" diameter schedule 10 stainless
- 6" diameter schedule 40
"This company has FANTASTIC customer service! We purchased a C8H ChamferMate to use at Greenville Technical College, and have had a few questions. One of the engineers, Eric, has been SUPER helpful! I give this company two thumbs way up and 5 plus stars! It would be hard to find a company that gives us as much attention and help as the engineers at MSI", says Mr. Burdge.
The Model C8H ChamferMate® is a heavy duty hydraulic poweredpipe beveling machine with up to 8-3/4” OD capacity. With 20 HP, the C8H has the power to machine weld bevels and other forms on the end of heavy wall pipe and tubing within its range.
Model C8H ChamferMate® Standard Features
- Adjustable from 1" up to 8" pipe diameters
- Accurately machines weld bevel and faces pipe square
- Fast cycle times, normally under 20 seconds
- Adjustable cutter head with interchangeable carbide inserts set with digital calipers
- Interchangeable grips for different sizes of pipe, tubing and solid bar
- Electronic variable speed drive
- Heavy duty construction utilizing machine tool-type linear rails
- Hydraulic powered clamping and feed
- Coolant system
- Large chip drawer in machine base